Grilled Flank Steak
Recipe Inspired by Gourmet 2007
One of our summer favorites for the grill is flank steak. This Korean style recipe is so easy and will be a hit with your family and guests. It's an interactive dining experience as diners make their own lettuce leaf bundles with rice, thin slices of meat and garnishes. You will also love the "quick cucumber kimchi" as a side for other summer feasts.
YIELD: Makes 4 servings
ACTIVE TIME: 25 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 45 minutes
• 1/4 cup soy sauce
• 2 tablespoons rice vinegar (not seasoned)
• 1 tablespoon grated peeled ginger
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 2 teaspoons Sriracha (Southeast Asian chile sauce)
• 2 teaspoons sugar
• 1 1/2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
• 1 to 1 1/4 pound flank steak
• 2 scallions, finely chopped
• 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
• 4 servings steamed white rice
• boston bibb lettuce
• cucumber kimchi (see recipe below)
Stir together soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, garlic, Sriracha, sugar, and sesame oil. Set aside.
Prepare a gas grill for direct-heat cooking over medium-high heat.
Oil grill rack, then grill steak, covered, turning over once, 6 to 8 minutes for medium-rare.
Transfer steak to a cutting board.
Drizzle with 2 tablespoons sauce.
Let the steak rest, uncovered for 5 minutes.
Slice steak across the grain into thin strips.
Serve with remaining sauce, scallions, and sesame seeds & cucumber kimchi.
Quick Cucumber Kimchi
YIELD: Makes 4 cups
ACTIVE TIME: 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 2 hrs 30 minutes
• 2 lbs cucumbers,
halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
• Kosher salt
• 1/4 cup sesame oil
• 1/2 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
• 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Thai or sweet basil
• 2 tablespoons gochugaru (Korean coarse red pepper powder)
Substitute 2 tablespoons chili powder plus 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
• 1 tablespoon minced garlic
• 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
• 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
• 1/2 teaspoon Asian fish sauce
In a colander, toss the sliced cucumbers with 1 tablespoon of kosher salt and let stand for 20 minutes. Rinse the cucumbers and drain well.
In a large bowl, toss the cucumbers with all of the remaining ingredients and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Season the kimchi with salt and serve.